AS OF 8/28 WE HAVE 2 SPOTS LEFT ON THE 3/4 TEAM. ALL OTHER TEAMS ARE FULL. CLICK HERE TO REGISTER FOR 3/4.
As the summer season winds down we are staring to look towards the Fall and the upcoming Box season.
Box is one of the building blocks of our year-around training program. It really reenforces stick skills, playing in tight spaces, picks, the two-man game, as well as defensive skills such as playing body defense. And it is great conditioning.
Every year we make a conscientious effort to find the best possible competition because box is very high-level training for advanced players, and we try to make the best possible use of everyone’s time. In the past 4 years we’ve played in leagues in El Segundo, Camarillo and Torrance, and this year we’ll be branching out to Orange County in a unique and efficient program in the Orange County Box Lacrosse League (OCBLL).
We’ll be playing against top talent and expect this league to have the feel of a travel tournament. At the high school level, we’ll be facing some of the best teams in LA: Foothill, St. Margarets, Corona Del Mar, San Clemente, Santa Margarita, Servite, Edison, Mater Dei, Newport Harbor, El Toro as well as several others. On the youth level we’ll be facing Crush, Victory, OC Rebels, Surf Dawgs, One More, Beach Cities, Navigators, SC Sharks and a few others.
We are excited about the logistics of the OCBLL because it makes better use of our weekends. Our teams will travel to Orange County to play 2-3 games on one day, rather than the normal 1 game. This means that we play one weekend, and have the next weekend off from box. The entire season fits into 3 game days and 1 championship weekend. And the season ends before Halloween. This is really good news for families playing football in the Fall, as well as those that are planning on attending Fall local, travel and recruiting tournaments (we’ll announce the Fall field program next week). This year’s box schedule makes it easy to fit it all in!
And just for reference, the drive time investment has a better ROI than last box season. The drive to Torrance was about 45 minutes to an hour, depending on where you live. And in return you got one game. Now we’ll be driving an additional 20 minutes or so for 2-3 games. It is a more efficient use of time.
Our primary game location will be The Rinks In Irvine (not to be confused with the Huntington Beach location where the California Cup was held). The Irvine location is a couple minutes from the Diamond Jamboree Mall (diverse Asian food malls), The District (traditional Western fast food mall) and Westpark Plaza Shopping Center (Western and ethnic restaurant style dining), which is great when you need to grab a lunch. And there is a Big 5 within minutes as well in case you lost your mouthguard.
We will be entering teams in the 5/6, 7/8, JV and HS divisions. Teams will be limited to 12-14 players. Once the spots are filled players can continue to register but will be waitlisted. If we get 24 players in a division, we’ll move all players off the waitlist and form a second team. Players will be invited directly to participate in the box program and invitations will start going out Monday, 7/10. Participants will have 1 week to claim their spot.
This season we will be offering our first-ever Box Jersey!
Season Fact Sheet
- Primary game location for most teams: The Rinks In Irvine - 3150 Barranca Pkwy, Irvine, CA 92606
- Additional game location for some HS and JV games: Victory Athletic Center - 3 Via Positiva, San Juan Capistrano, CA
Season duration: August 28 to October 29
First game weekend: September 9 & 10
Last game weekend: October 28 & 29
Age & skill levels: Advanced players in 5th to 12th grade in the 2017/18 school year.
Practice location: Mar Vista Rec Center, 11430 Woodbine Ave., Mar Vista, CA 90066
Details on the exact game weekends, as well as the practice slots will be passed on as soon as we receive additional information. We expect practices to be similar to last year.
We look forward to a great box season!
Box Practice Schedule Preview
Thank you much for your patience as we worked to put together the box practice schedule. Our rink space is confirmed and the times are listed below. The final practice schedule will be entered into our online master schedule prior to the start of the season. Please let us know if you have questions.
A few notes on box practice:
- All players need to be dressed and ready 5 minutes prior to the start of practice so we can start on time
- Box is played on a roller hockey rink, so please wear sneakers, not cleats
- We highly recommend that players wear rib pads for box. If you are unfamiliar with rib pads, a screen shot of the google search result for “rib pads lacrosse” is included at the bottom of this e-mail.
- 3rd/4th Grade: Wednesday 4pm to 5pm - 8/30 start date - First game is September 10th
- 5th/6th Grade: Wednesday 4pm to 5:30pm - 8/30 start date - First game is September 10th
- 7th/8th Grade: Wednesday 5pm to 6:30pm - 9/6 start date - First game is September 10th
- JV (9th & 10th Grade): Monday 5pm to 6:30pm - 9/11 start date - First game is September 16
- HS (11th & 12th Grade): Monday 5pm to 6:30pm - 9/11 start date - HOWEVER (!!) HS will practice on Wednesday 8/30 from 5pm to 6:30pm so the team has one practice prior to the first game weekend on September 9th.
All practices take place at:
Mar Vista Rec Center
11430 Woodbine Ave.
Mar Vista, CA 90066